- Boned and rolled shoulder of pork,
- 450g (1lb) Pork sausages,
- 1 Eating apple, cored and cut into chunks,
- Handful fresh sage leaves,
- String for tying.
Allow 100-175g (4-6oz) raw meat per person for boneless joints.
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4-5, 180oC, 350oF.
- Take a boned and rolled shoulder joint.
- Make the Stuffing: Slit the sausage skins and remove the sausage meat. Mix together sausage meat and apple pieces. Cut the strings from the joint and open up on a board. Place the sage leaves onto the meat and top with the stuffing, roll up the joint and secure with string in 3-4 places.
- Weigh the stuffed joint and calculate the cooking time – 30 minutes per 450g/½kg (1lb) plus 30 minutes (medium).
- Dry the rind and score deeply with a sharp knife. Rub the joint with a little oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place on a rack in a roasting tin and open roast in preheated oven for calculated cooking time.
- When cooked allow to stand for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with seasonal roasted vegetables.
Top tip: If you have any stuffing left over cut some onions in half horizontally, scoop out some of the layers and put a big spoonful into the onion shells. Cook with joint for the last 40-50 minutes